Saturday, April 30, 2016

Beware the box to the right

In a land of 330+ million people, two thirds of which have access to the Internet, two thirds of that group use Facebook, conservatively, that means conservatively over 150 million Americans utilize Facebook.  The Boy Genius, Zuckerberg, has made his chops with being clued into this huddled mass of people, supposedly leaders of the free world.

I woke up this morning, and as always, I was astounded by the trending block on Facebook.  This huge group of the wealthiest, most privileged, freest and least constrained people on the planet, they were most interested in the following topics:
Vinnie's Pizzeria (made a pizza delivery box out of pizza in Brooklyn)
Johnny Manziel (what else, drunken ass who has become a Beiber groupie, only way to get lower)
Del Taco (employee fired for being rude)
Earfel Tower (water tower at Disney, that never held water, torn down)
Eve Plumb (is still alive apparently, and not trying to kill Marsha, as far as we know)
Katrina Steffens (whore for JayZ, one of thousands I suspect)
Human Centipede 2 (a high school teacher showed to his class, sick bastard)
Russian SU-27 (jet barrel rolls over an Air Force jet, you know the Rulers of the Sky)

I will confess that I did click on the Eve Plumb story, cause I thought she had been one of those child acting tragedies and died years ago.  Who knew?  And I did click on the Earfel Tower.  I am a Disney geek to some extent.

But, how does a community 150 million strong, turn the trend line into this collection of things?  It is a random sampling.  I am almost always challenged by the grouping to my right.  I have been morally outraged, angry and disappointed over it.  Now, I am just kind of in awe of America.

How the hell do we survive day to day, without nuking ourselves or accidentally fracking down to the core of the earth and unleash the Yellowstone Super Volcano over the entire continent?

I have stopped wondering how it is that people can do the stupid human tricks that we marvel at in righteous indignation.  If our combined interest produces this subset of data, we are doomed to elect Trump.

I don't weep for our nation.  Honestly, watching this, I think we have kind of become the nation that most resembles the cockroach.  Nothing will kill it off.  You can freeze it, irradiate it, poison it, trap it, and still it moves, it keeps going.  Not because it is doing any kind of service of note, but because it stumbled upon a working frame that is so robust, little to nothing can disturb its perpetual motion.

In a way, that kind of makes me feel better, and in a way it kind of skeeves me out.  We pay more attention to Johnny Manziel than to medical science, literature, politics, anything of note.  Train wrecks are always fascinating, unless you are in one.

I always wonder, does the continued grouping of foolishness we focus on indicate we are watching a train wreck, or are in one?

At least the Kardashians nor Kanye showed up.  Maybe we ticking up off the bottom.  Maybe they just couldn't believe Jan Brady was still alive either.  Wonder if she went to the Bieber concert with Johnny Drunkard?  Who knew?

GLYASDI

No comments:

Post a Comment