Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Sunset slipped past me

I was on the phone with my Dad.  He sounds so much better, and is healing well.  I was so focused on that, I did not see the sky change and notice that the sun set.  It has happened an incalculable number of times in my life.  Poignant tonight.

As sunset was occurring here in North Carolina, my closest friend, my brother from another mother, that guy that we all have in this life that we could not do without, he experience a sunset in his life.  He watched as his Mother passed on to the glory of heaven.

There is nothing, not one thing that I can say to him, that will change the pain, or the loss.  Though I have walked this road before him, there is no landmark, no route marked, no path to relate that makes his journey better.

All that is available to us tonight, is all that has been available as this time drew near.  We lift him up in prayer, with his family.  We ask God to grant them peace as they face this loss, to bring them together in love, to strengthen them through each other, and through prayer.

I do not discredit the power of God, or prayer.  I do not think anything is beyond the power of prayer or God.  But, our effort never feels enough.  That is what eats at us, we don't feel what we do is enough, because enough does not lay within our power.  Enough only lives within God's power.

I have friends that I respect and honor, that do not believe in God.  I don't know how they face even one day of life, without the renewal, peace and comfort that God gives me.  Every day has trials, demands, moments of chaos that we do not feel equal to, and against that, if we do not have God, to be enough, how do we stand?  I could not, and would not be able to do it.

So, tonight, we are trusting God to show up and be enough in my friend and his family's life.  It is beyond our power, their power, anyone's power, but not beyond God's.  They are faithful children of the Lord, and the Lord loves His own.

"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  That is what I pray for the whole family tonight.  They need fear no evil, for He is with us, His rod and His staff, they comfort us.  Surely, goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives, and we WILL dwell in the house of the Lord FOREVER, together.  Jerri just got there ahead of the rest of us, and that is a joy for her, though it is a sorrow for us.

The sun sets upon us all, in the time and manner God has decreed.  Nothing will change one grain of sand in the hour glass.  The trick is to not let the sunsets that matter slip past.  Eric and his family did not, and neither did Jerri.  The one promise made is that the sun will also rise, just as the Son rose. God bless you and keep you, God make his face to shine upon you, God lift up his countenance to you, and give you peace.  Love you brother.  I can't wait to give you that hug.  I am coming.

GLYASDI

No comments:

Post a Comment